Sunday, January 12, 2014

Retro retail ahead?

It has only been just shy of two weeks since Father Time sauntered out the door and the New Years baby that was 2014 crawled in the door.
               But much to my surprise, the banging on the keyboard and the incessant worrying was in high gear. Perennial candidate and worrier Chicken Little was hard at work.
               However, there was a twist this time.  Little has said repeatedly that he is worried about state number of vacancies in the village’s retail space, and rather than have him keep on clucking and expect the village to fill the spot, I told him to come up with some plans.
               He did.
               “I tell you, these plans can put Buffalo Grove on the map,” he said.  I’m thinking, not again.
               “Yep.  I’ve decided to the village needs a theme to develop a unique retail climate” he said. 
               Dare I ask?  The theme is?
               “Buffalo Grove, where we keep the past alive….”
               I’m lost.
               “So here’s my plan,” Little said, “we find ways to resurrect some of the famous names from days gone by the fill some of the vacancies.”

               Such as?
               “Can you see the former Dominick’s at Lake-Cook and Arlington Heights roads open as a Venture, Turnstyle, Wieboldt’s, Goldblatt’s or E.J. Korvette store?”
               Ah, not really, I said, but what about the rest of the strip center?
               “Easy”, he said.  “How about a Robert Hall, Steinberg-Baum or The Fair.”
               I am thinking a Col. Sanders or Chick-fil-a. 
               “Not funny,” he said.
               I asked C.L. if he had any ideas for the vacant car dealerships along Dundee Road.
               “You bet I do – all with the same theme.”
               I knew I’d regret this.
               “I’m thinking we could have Nickey Chevorlet, home of the backwards K or maybe Z Frank -- or -- better yet – how about Burt Weinman, your TV Ford man? 

               Any other bright ideas, I asked.
               “Well, now that you asked, I have one other idea for the Dominick’s at Lake-Cook and Arlington Heights road just in case my first plan doesn’t work.
               And that is?
               “A center with a Village Hall flair.”
               I asked him how he intended to do that.
               “Well, the old Dominick’s store could be a Gentleman’s Club.”
               With a Village Hall flair?
               “Just in name,” Little said.  “I was thinking about calling it the Dancing Dais, or Executive Session”.
               I asked him if he was serious.
               “Well, sure.  If we want to give it flair for the village’s finances a friend of mine gave me a great idea for a name.”
               And that is?
               “Bare Assets.”
               But what about the rest of the center?
               “Piece of cake,” Little said.  “I’m thinking of a coffee shop with a village twist.”
               Really?
               “Yep, and it would also have a retro theme.”
               How so?
               “Well, I may not have a name, but the barista would be former village manager Bill Brimm.”
               Well at least we know the coffee would be made with good water.  But, I asked how it would be retro.
               ‘The slogan, man, the slogan,” Little said.
               Which is?
               “Fill it to the rim with Brimm.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment