Thursday, August 7, 2014

2, 4, 6, 8 -- politicians find it's time to communicate

It’s August, right?

Finally.

Recently people have asked me if I was still blogging about things in Big Animal Grove.

But of course.

Sometimes, however, things get chaotic and not everything gets done.  Like a blog.

For the past six weeks I have been traveling around the country for either vacation or journalism workshops (mostly the latter) and since July 7 I have been in the town of the Bison for maybe seven days.  It has been a busy time.

So it was a welcome relief when I had a chance to start getting some personal stuff done, like doctor’s appointments.  But I’m not going to take up time about inane personal stuff; I’ll leave that for soccer mommies who like to take up time and space writing about that.

I had the opportunity for some badly needed R & R, which was, unfortunately interrupted by Cong. Brad Schneider (D-10) – not once, not twice, but three times in the course of 24 hours; twice by robo calls and once by an seemingly ill-trained volunteer equipped with a bad cell connection asking me if I was going to support him.

No.  I’m not.  Not yet anyway.  It’s three months to the election and I prefer to weigh my decision on how well our lawmakers (why do I cringe when I write that) handle key issues.  In the month I have been on the road (with apologies to Charles Kuralt) a passenger jet has been shot down, the immigration of children from central America has escalated and the mid East has become a hotbed of conflict.  Again.  So it seems likely that unless the world does a group hug in the next 90 days, there will be lots of opportunities for politicos to show us what they’re made of.

How exciting.

It appears that Schneider is going through a phase of low esteem because at some point this summer I was approached by another volunteer asking me if I was going to support Schneider.  I haven’t thought about it now and I certainly had not thought about it then.

But I decided to play along.  “He’s running against (Robert) Dold, right?” I asked.  His answer?

“Yeah, his family owns a bug company.”  Really?  They’re refugees from the Nixon administration? (In actuality his family owns Northfield-based Rose Exterminators.)

But he’s not alone. It’s that time when lawmakers, many whom resemble the White Sox bullpen – they exist but are in effective -- begin waging campaigns in which the vow to change the world. 

It’s likely that this campaign will bring out the worse of both parties.  Schneider’s gang of henchmen have done little to address issues and even less to boost our image around the world, while the party that Dold hangs his hat on is more interested in suing or impeaching President Obama.  Really?  That’s good use of our tax dollars?

This summer version of hi-how-are-you-will-you-vote-for-me has spilled over to state races as well.  I’m waiting for a news story that Bruce Rauner was hospitalized after he cut himself shaving and bled green while Gov. Quinn will make news when he announces he’s undergoing a personality transplant.  Yawn.

State Rep. Carol Sente has jumped on the bandwagon as well.  In addition to an assortment of leaves, weeds and other growth in my yard, I found a soggy Sente flyer, which goes along with the ones I’ve gotten in the mail.  But at least she’s communicating.  Her opponent, Leslie Munger, according to her web site, will be attending a series of barbecues and meet-and-greets at Metra station.  How nice. Issues please?

But now it’s the dawn of the campaign season – robo calls, grip and grin flyers, etc.

How about addressing issues – something that would be a novel idea to be sure.

As time going on, however, candidates will push the panic button and let you think the sky is falling.

Wait…sky falling?

There is one candidate who may be able to help.

And with medical marijuana looming, he’ll give new meaning to the term potted chicken.

In the meantime, brace yourself for an onslaught of robo calls, flyers and social media messages from folks who otherwise have had limited communication with their constituencies.

Stay tuned; the excitement continues to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment