Thursday, October 30, 2014

Even after 11 years, it was still a tacky move by Topinka

As a rule, I don’t blog about state or national elections.
And as a rule, I don’t carry a grudge.
But there’s always an exception.
It used to be the race for Illinois Treasurer, but when Judy Barr Topinka decided to be the state’s comptroller, that became the exception.
As I said, I don’t carry a grudge, but there are some things that kind of stick with you for a long time.
Like politicians who capitalize on someone’s grief.  At the taxpayers’ expense.
As Topinka did.
The story unfolded 11 years ago next month when my mother died.  My dad had died years before, so my sister and I were now parentless, not something anyone wants to look forward to, but it is part of the lifecycle landscape.
For the sake of argument, my mother died on a Monday, was buried on Wednesday.  The following Tuesday, less than a week after the funeral, I received a formal resolution expressing condolences on the death of Jean Zoller.  At state expense.  In a state envelope.
Really? This from the public official who is now bemoaning the state of Illinois’ coffers?
I contacted Topinka’s office and talked with some flack who told me that it’s not unusual for Topinka to do this.
So how does she select the families to barge in on during a time of grief?
No answer.
My guess is that, because of my mother’s longtime career, the Chicago Sun-Times ran an exceptional obituary.  And yes, they quoted me.
So let’s work through this.  A seemingly successful business woman from the northern suburbs dies, with a child among the survivors who lives in the northwestern burbs – that could mean votes – or better yet – campaign donations.
Just a theory.  Whether it’s accurate or not, the mere fact that a public servant sees fit to barge in on a constituent’s grief is, to quote Brandon Marshall, unacceptable.
I can’t help but wonder one thing.  I wonder if she sends condolence resolutions to children in Englewood or Pilsen when their parents die?  How about East St. Louis? Or Rockford.
I doubt it.
If you’re going to serve the people, you need to serve all of the people.

All of the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment