Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Candidate discusses a deep subject

It has been a while since Village President candidate, Chicken Little, has been heard from. Until recently.

“I try to keep campaigning to a lull until after Labor Day,” he said. “But once again I am concerned about, well, the potential of the sky falling in on the Village.

Village Board
Candidate Chicken Little

How so?

“I’ve heard a lot about the fact that the ground water is so bad it’s going to infect our minds, curve our spins and keep the allies from winning the war,” he said. “But C.L.,” I asked, “the village gets its water from Lake Michigan and has for years.”

“Help me understand this, there are no wells in the village?” he asked. I explained to him that there are four wells in the village, but they are only for emergency purposes. “So what’s the problem?’ he asked.

It appears that at least one trustee is concerned about the health and safety of the drinking water and continually sites the Shaw Report. “But if the village is on Lake Michigan water, what’s the issue. And what’s the Shaw Report. The last time I heard from Shaw, it was Sadie asking me out.” C.L. must be the only person, oops, living creature who has not heard of the Shaw Report, which in essence was an environmental impact study on the L&L property that the village was interested in annexing five years ago.

Little asked if the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, the federal environmental protection agency looked into it. Yes, I assured him, they did. “And what did they find? Not much of any consequence. “Oh,” he said, “then it must have been handled by the Lake County Health Department.” I told him it was. “So what’s the problem?” he asked. I explained to him that Trustee Lisa Stone things L & L is responsible for foul water. “Excuse me,” he said, “you have a problem with fowl water?”

Clarification made, I further explained that L&L was once a landfill, but now serves as a compost area. The federal and state EPAs have said L&L does not pose a danger to the village, or the surrounding areas.

“So as they say in the barn, what’s the beef?” he asked. I’m not sure, I told him. Granted safety of well water for human consumption has its valid points, but the village’s wells are 1,000 feet deep and any runoff from L&L will not impact them.

“So who will it impact?” Little asked? Another good question. Theoretically, it could affect resident in unincorporated Lake County. “Ahh, so I bet the village has been swamped with calls of concern from those residents.” Nope. “How about the villages of Riverwoods and Lincolnshire?” Nope.

“Do the residents have any concerns about the drinking water?” he asked. “I would expect anyone receiving well water could have concerns, but this is not a new problem,” I said.

Little pondered the situation as he fixed his feathers. “So why is Stone going ballistic about this problem if it does not affect the village and has been checked out by environmental engineers; is she an expert in this area?”

Good question, again, I noted. It’s especially intriguing to me, I told him that Stone used to live over in that area, but never said a word about.

“I dunno,” Little said, “It sounds a little strange to me. Would you have any concerns?
I told him I too live over in that area and found the odors and potential problems from the sewage treatment plant more of a concern, especially when I cooked.

“Really, that’s pretty interesting. What recipe were you most concerned about?” he asked.
I told him the one for chicken soup.

“Not funny,” he said, “Not funny at all."

Neither is hysteria over a problem that independent experts have addressed and provided solid information.

No comments:

Post a Comment