Sunday, November 7, 2010

Some questions

As the long anticipated and much ballyhooed IEPA hearing about the L & L landfill approaches, there are some questions I have.


No doubt critics and cynics will say I'm pick on poor Lisa Stone.  I'm not.  But as long as she waves the flag of transparency, she needs to provide answers.


For example:


Who?  Put her up to this?  Yes, she originally came to the Board about the compost odor at L & L -- but from there compost became second nature.  Stone's work experience, as indicated in the village's web site, is a "Legal Research Consultant - Retired."  So where does a background come in?  If she was approached by someone in or out of Village Hall, it could help us understand the breadth of the problem.  Are of the people involved current Board members or staff, or does it go back further?


Why? Is she so relentless about this issue?  This is not to downplay the potential hazards of any landfill, but why L & L?  Also, Stone and her family, before moving into the village, lived less than two miles from L & L -- why was she not concerned about it back then?  Also, if she is so concerned about the environmental impact of landfills, why has she not taken the village of Wheeling to task about the shuttered landfill on the east side of Milwaukee Avenue, south of Deerfield Road.  Also, it's likely that and problems with the Wheeling landfill or L & L maybe impact the watershed of the Des Plaines River, but that has yet to be discussed.


Where? Beside village hall, where is this information being acquired?   We've heard and, in some cases seen, emails and documents from the Lake County Health Department, the IEPA and EPA -- but it seems like there is information coming from other sources.  Again, revealing those sources could strengthen the L & L argument by providing more definitive information.


What? With all the alleged contacts being made to every conceivable expert and politician, it might be interesting to know what information is being provided and what the full response is.  Excerpts and fragments  titillate, but do not answer all of the questions. Also, what is she hoping to gain by all of this?  A name from which to campaign?  More accusations of Village Board members?


How?  There's a lot of information being distributed -- besides FOIA requests, how is Stone obtaining the information?  This may also connect to the "who" question.


When?  When will this all end.  It seems as though there has been ample information provided from various sources has not been enough.  The IEPA hearing at Village Hall from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday may shed some light on L & L.


However, if Stone firmly believes in "transparency in government," then the time for her to practice what she preaches is now.


Inquiring minds want to know.

14 comments:

  1. Stop bashing Lisa Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan,


    You've been one of the mouthpieces for the Recall movement, how can we expect you to independently cover any of this? Oh wait, we can't

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan,
    You are asking the same questions that many of us have also asked. This is not bashing Stone... this is asking her to provide 'Facts' of what she is claiming. Since she has not, I am relying on the IEPA to assist in providing additional data/facts. And since she allegedly reported this to many state politicians, and they did not respond - the question is 'why not?' Thanks for continuing to report on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gentle readers...

    1. Stop bashing... Actually I am not bashing. I'm merely asking some questions that are reasonable. If I was to bash her, I would have ripped the idea of the IPEA hearing and her insistence. But I did not know, did I?

    2. You've been one of the mouthpieces...true, I supported recall. But I only blog, believe it or not, on meetings that I observe or attend. These are my views. I'm an independent.

    3. You are asking the same...To me they're simple, basic questions.

    2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Zoller - I see you have removed some of the posts on this "article" Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually -- thank you for pointing that out -- I did not remove any comments -- I never do. I still have the original messages and will have them back up by the end of the day. I think it's important to have all sides presented. Again, thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Zoller - You just want your "side" heard. You are just so "Relentless".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like someone wants to silence your own personal point of view, Stan.

    I wonder why ?

    This is America, right ?

    Didn't alot of guys fight alot of battles to guarantee you that right to your own view and the freedom to express it ?

    Thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few notes...

    1. Mr. Zoller - You just want your "side" heard. You are just so "Relentless". -- Hey, I just blog, my point of view. Side? How about opinion.

    2. Sounds like someone wants to silence your own personal point of view .. Silence is pretty strong. It would be too bad if that was the case. The exchange of opinions is interesting -- and encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As noted, at least one comment was deleted -- that was not intentional. Here is the comment.

    By the way --- I leave all comments, unless they violate blogspot's terms of service.

    1. You've been one of the mouthpieces for the Recall movement, how can we expect you to independently cover any of this? Oh wait, we can't -- My opinion. No one elses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The term "Relentless" is probably referring to a poster from the Daily Herald. A hint that this is who they think you are. I have to say that people are getting really nasty on DH and no new point of view, just finger pointing. You do have a refreshing way of viewing things and not being crude, rude or crass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The term "Relentless" -- Interesting. I have a signed blog, with a profile -- why would I post in the Daily Herald with a pseudonym? If anyone is looking for my opinion, it's right here, signed. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "So there."

    Stan you sound like a child. I wonder why Stan is saying he only uses his "real" name on blogs. Yeah right!

    Don't worry. I won't tell your mom on you. "So there".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like the commenter from the DH boards with over a dozen aliases is on here as well. Stan, keep up the good work - I enjoy your blogs.

    ReplyDelete