Thursday, November 4, 2010

A picture is worth a thousand words

I was amazed when I saw it on the front page.  I never expected the election to end with such an image.


But it was a relief.


Yes, there it was, Mark Kirk and Alexi Ginnaoulias end the campaign over a beer at the famed Billy Goat Tavern.


Coke, no Pepsi, chips, no fries.


Thank you Sam Sianis.


You would think, if not hope, that most campaigns would end on some kind of positive note.  Two candidates who slugged it out realize that the election is over and while one is disappointed, perhaps angered, the has an image as to what lies ahead and moves forward with the issues at hand.


You would think.  You would hope.  


The meeting at the Goat between Kirk and Giannoulias provided a bit of levity to a long and bitter campaign.  Levity can be good. The key word -- can.


There was another front page picture that also surprised, make that shocked me.


Buffalo Grove Village Board President Elliott Hartstein "dressed" like Lisa Stone who was recalled by nearly 70 percent of the voters who voted in Tuesday's election.


Seeing Hartstein donned in a long black wig was like seeing Little Black Sambo at a KKK rally or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad  at a Bar Mitzvah.  In other words, it did not work. Not by a long shot.
To cite the headline in the Daily Herald, "what was he thinking?"


If he thought  he was being funny, save you gas money folks, Hartstein won't be at Zanies this weekend.


The picture was a surprise because Hartstein has been  a dedicated public servant in the village for more than 30 years.  You would think he knows better.  If he's trying to gain support among trans-gender and cross-dressing voters, the effort failed.


After 18 months of attacks by Stone, I was anticipating that Hartstein would be more humble and quite honestly, classy in accepting "victory."  A simple statement wishing Stone well would have sufficed.  But that did not happen -- not by a long shot.


What's needed here is for Hartstein to not just write an apology, which to his credit he did quickly, but to call Stone and personally apologize.  Here's the tricky part -- is her hatred of Hartstein so deep that she would not listen?  Who knows.  My guess is probably not.  


Hartstein's sophomoric antics do not diminish his years of public service.  He is well versed in public issues and has held things together reasonably well during the past 18 months.


His antics do not diminish the vote.  Hartstein's antics are not a political issue. Members of the Board, especially Jeff Berman who has expressed his displeasure on AOL's Patch, are more than just a little upset with Hartstein.


I think it's a safe bet to say that Stone is too.  As well as she should be. Pundits will want this to become a political issue.  It's not.  It's an issue of stupidity.  The reality is, we've all had moments like that and while they may eat at us, we move on.


Again, not to diminish the poor taste of Hartstein's stunt Tuesday night, the Board has to move on and get back to business.  Stone's antics were a distraction, which drove board members and residents crazy.  They wanted her gone and now she is.  Move on. 


It may be easier said than done, but while we'll all remember Hartstein in a wig (anyone remember when Mike Ditka did the same thing) we can't overlook what needs to be done in the village. Once the votes are certified and Stone is officially off the Board, the Stone Age is over.  


There's no reason to discuss her tenure on the Board or how she ridiculed other board members.  Stunts that belittle her, or anyone in the public eye for that matter, are not needed.  You won -- move on.  Be gracious and accepting and move on.


If it does not exist already, I am proposing that Hartstein be given an award for Tuesday night.  I think he should receive the first ever "Michael Dukakis Award for Worse Photo Opp."  It can be presented to the public official whose photo opportunity turns into a photo opposite.


While it's likely the Stone camp won't let this die, this cannot be the focus of the Village Board.  It was Hartstein who decided to mock Stone, not the Board.


The Board meets again Nov. 15.  I'm not sure how Hartstein will be attired -- I just hope to hell he doesn't come dressed as a landfill.

14 comments:

  1. I do not belong to the 'stone camp" and I did not vote for Lisa Stone, however I am very disappointed in President Hartstein. His antics were more of a bully then a Village President. What he represented to the public and children of Buffalo Grove is that it is OK to kick someone at what could be the lowest point in their life to date. He is not a comedian on stage (and I do not approve of those who make jokes at other's expense to the point of being cruel)but an elected official who should have acted with grace and dignity. If he wanted to let off steam, he could have done that in the privacy of his own home, not a public venue where other people could witness his cruelty. His antics made me wonder...does he make fun of everyone? If I come before the Board because I do not agree with something or have a request is he going to mimic me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are making waaaaayyyy too much of this. After 18 plus months of "Stone Age" antics his "temporary insanity" was not a surprise to me...her antics have made me physically sick. She has caused angst to MANY people in this community. Does 70% ring a bell? Hartstein's few minutes of poor judgement does not negate the 18 months of "Stone Age" rudeness, bad press, and community horror we have endured. Even though I do not condone his behavior...it was one of those "sticks and stones" moments our mothers taught us about...childish at best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To comment No. 1 -- I agree. His antics were not necessarily those of a bully as much as, I'll be polite, someone who acts in a goof way. Figure it out. His actions are not political as much sophomoric. You raise a good point, however, that people addressing the board will be wondering if they'll be mocked as well. It's purely a Hartstein thing and not a Board thing.

    To comment No. 2 -- Right now people are not making way too much of thing. The recall of Lisa Stone was the focus. Her performance was miserable and we had a chance to focus on what the voters said and move on. Hartstein's antics just kept the acrimony alive. Hopefully, however, people will realize that Hartstein was being a fool at a non-village event. At least he realizes he screwed up, but that's like putting in a smoke alarm after you called the fire department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan I love reading your stuff...you are smart AND creative...keep it coming, whatever the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have worked with difficult people and difficult people have reported to me. So difficult that I would come home totally "wiped out" and feeling as though I would break into a million pieces if I had to deal with one more personality conflict or person who wanted their own way. But I have never felt the need to "attack" anyone on a personal level. When the situation was over, I just took a deep breath and moved on....Hartstein had his chance, he now needs to move on and out of office. I no longer trust his guidance and the rest of the Board is iffy.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Zoller - I bet you didn't expect the responces you got to your "article". You are part of the "recall group". Don't deny it.

    Everyone out there don't trust a single word Mr. Zoller says. He is one of "them".

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of "them " ? The 8700 who voted for recall ?

    The clear majority. The mandate.

    The will of the people.

    Yeah...you better watch out for the "will of the people", huh ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too was not in favor of Lisa. To me it was not what she said, but how she said it. The way she treated her fellow trustees, and others in the community, was unforgivable. But, what Hartstein did was just wrong - very unprofessional, very childish, just wrong in every way. But, I do not think his trust is at hand, I do not think his resignation is necessary - I have to believe he is very sorry for his actions. He is a human being who made a mistake. Time to move one - plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, a few comments...

    1. Stan I love reading your stuff.. Thanks.


    2. I have worked with difficult people and difficult people have reported to me.. Nice post. There's no doubt Hartstein's comment was classless. As for the rest of the board being "iffy" -- I think this may actually toughen them up and have a few more things to say to Elliott. As for his moving on -- my guess is he will not run again. It's too bad that his dedication to the village will be overridden by his wig stunt.

    3. Mr. Zoller - I bet you didn't expect the responces you got to your "article". You are part of the "recall group". Don't deny it... Huh? First of all I never "denied" my involvement with the recall group. As for the responses, I never know who has what to say. Does "everyone" not trust me? Hmm, this sounds like a certain trustee who kept saying "the community" was behind her. Sure was, like we saw Tuesday night. Oh, by the way, I'm glad you know how to use a computer -- but you may want to get a dictionary and grammar book. Oh, here's a word you may want to look up -- delusional. Hint, it's under the letter D.

    4. One of "them " ? The 8700 who voted for recall ?... Details, details, details.

    5. I too was not in favor of Lisa. To me it was not what she said.. Agree for the most part. Village officials, however, and we have seen this way too much the past 18 months, are held to a higher standard. Yep, he made a mistake, but it was a damaging one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Berman threw Hartstein under a bus. In doing so, he besmirched the efforts of the recall group and gave rise to doubts and questions of ulterior motives. While Hartstein's actions were lamentable, they were one poor moment among years of stellar behavior and achievements. Berman's actions reek of mutiny. In doing so, he has sprung a leak that may sink the entire board. I now question every trustee and doubt their integrity. And guilty or not, I doubt they can reclaim the trust of the voters in the future. I expect the calls for the entire board to be replaced will be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In response to...Berman threw Hartstein under a bus. I'm not sure it's mutiny. Just because Hartstein is the "captain" does not mean the crew has to always be in complete agreement. Berman may be singled out because he voiced the first opinion about Hartstein's action. You're right, it was one poor moment in years of public service. But it only took one text to change people's minds about Brett Favre. That's the reality of one slip by a public figure at any level. I don't think the entire board will pay the price for the action of one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Berman has told individuals he spoke for the trustees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If this is an example of Berman's leadership we're all in trouble. Only a weasel would be so quick to fire off two LTE's saying "I didn't have anything to do with this!"

    The real question is, why were there any Trustees in the room at all. This celebration was completely inappropriate to begin with and should not have been given any official approval. Those who fostered the atmosphere of ridicule and hate which led to this--not the least of whom was Zoller--should be deeply ashamed. You have embarrassed the entire town and have done longer-lasting, deeper damage than the antics of any one Trustee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In response to: If this is an example... Here's a news flash -- trustee are residents too and entitled to be where they want, whether we like it or not. The celebration did not have any "official approval" -- even if the trustees were there. Much in the same way that Lisa Stone was able to step of the dais and talk as "a resident" -- the trustees have the same right.

    Who embarrassed the village? Go to www.vbg.org and click on video for the previous 18 months. Did i foster an atmosphere of ridicule and hate? Hardly. again, watch the videos. I just write about what I see. I suppose you'll tell me that's unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete