I love sports.
I've played, watched, coached, covered everything from NFL training camps to women's ice hockey.
I've had the chance to meet the classiest of the classiest (Ray Meyer) and up and comers whose names I can't remember.
Through it all, one of the coolest things in sports is the meeting at center ice at the end of a playoff series in the National Hockey League when both teams line up at center ice to shake hands, a gesture that ends the competition. Sure, there are times when it's terse, but at least both sides have the decency to end it on a generally friendly note.
Maybe it's time to do that for municipal elections.
Maybe it's time to tell Rob Sherman to grow up and show some class.
To say Sherman lost in his bid to become Village Clerk is an understatement. Jan Sirabian destroyed Sherman at the polls by gathering 90.05 percent of the vote in the Cook County side of the village. He mustered 109 votes -- I have more Facebook friends than that.
In Lake County, Robbypoo picked up 21.10 percent of the vote to Sirabian's 78.90 percent. Sherman received 687 votes, which is smaller than the graduating class at Stevenson High School. Most people would have been gracious in defeat. The keyword here is most.
But not Rob Sherman. Instead, he continued his classless barrage of arrogant and sexist remarks as he continued to rip Sirabian. Media reports, most written by folks considered to be "ace reporters", so we know they must be true, reported that Sherman saw his defeat as an mandate that people want Sirabian out.
Let's work this out. Siabian gets 3,556 and Sherman gets 796. Mandate? Where? Sirabian receive more votes in Cook County (987) than Sherman's total.
So where's the mandate? In Sherman's cranial cavity.
To no surprise, it's all about Sherman and his boorish ego. It always was. Sherman never had any interest in the Village Clerk's post, he just wanted to further boost his ego at the expense of a dedicated public servant and, more annoyingly, at taxpayer's expense.
To give you a classic example of Sherman's hypocrisy, he told the Daily Herald that, if nothing else, “At least, I had the opportunity to put the fear of God into her.”
Huh? Sherman -- I thought you were an atheist, or is that just another one of your PR ploys. This coming from a guy who allegedly sits down during the pledge of allegiance when it comes to "under God". I guess when there's a media opp, all bets are off.
Sherman has also told media outlets that he now plans to move to the Cayman Islands once his daughter graduates high school this spring.
You know the Cayman Islands, where the largest island, Grand Cayman, has a section called Hell.
Let's see, Rob Sherman and Hell. It seems like a likely match.
But before sails off to paradise, he may want to watch the upcoming NHL Playoffs.
He may learn something about sportsmanship.
No comments:
Post a Comment