Saturday, April 23, 2011

An "old boy" calls it a day...

Now that the dust of the April 5 election has settled and the next administration is getting ready to make its mark on things, it seems as though a few things may have been overlooked.

When the new board begins its tenure on May 2, it will welcome Andy Stein and Mike Terson to the dais and Jeff Braiman will move to center stage as Elliott Hartstein bids adieu to his Village Board career.

DeAnn Glover
But there will be one more farewell to be said, that to another one of the "old boy network."  After 16 year on the Village Board, DeAnn Glover is leaving her spot on the dais.

It strikes me odd how cynics like to hang the OBN tag on the Board, and overlook the work women have done on the Village Board.  Let's not call Glover a "boy" and certainly don't call her "old".  She rolled up sleeves just like most Board members do and worked on an array of projects.  She was liaison to the Cable Committee, the Library Committee and The Buffalo Grove Days Committee, to name a few.

Old boy?  How about dedicated resident?  Being surrounded by a myriad of attorneys never seemed to intimidate Glover -- her passions have always been the budget, Buffalo Grove Days and the "Pink Heals" campaign.

A broker and manager for a real estate firm, she brought her corporate tenacity to the Board -- along with a strong, but well thought-out opinion.

There is an exceptional pride that radiates from Glover as well.  No doubt, a pride in the village and what various departments and volunteers have done.  There's also a sense of pride that beams from her when she discussed her family.

A native of Nebraska, Glover plans to spend more time with her children and grandchildren, especially those now living in Kansas,  during retirement.  In fact, it's likely that Glover will move to Kansas to be  closer to her son and daughter-in-law and their kids.

Will she miss her work on the Village Board?  Odds are she will -- you just don't walk away from 16 years of community service with a twinge of fondness.

As for moving to Kansas -- there's no doubt she'll enjoy the time with family. But if you're expecting her to become Auntie Em -- think again.  She's been through more twisters than Auntie Em -- and came through them all.

Even with the "old boys".

4 comments:

  1. DeAnn also served as trustee liaison to the Commission for Residents with Disabilities. Her views,ideas and input along with her passion for helping people were always evident & welcome.
    She will be missed on the village board

    Rick Kahen
    Chair
    Commission for Residents with Disabilities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,

    Thanks for the added input. Deanne is one of those folks who just does things without worrying about the fame and glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan,

    I just read this article. Thank you so much for the kind words. I truly hope I left a positive mark on Buffalo Grove. I have been proud to call Buffalo Grove my home for over 40 years. When I leave, it will be very hard for me to say good-bye to all the friends I have made over the years. I include you Stan as one of my friends, even though we only became acquainted in recent times. I Love Buffalo Grove. It has been a wonderful place to live and raise my family. My three grandchildren were all in their first parade when they were 9 months old. Michael and McKenzie are looking forward to my move to Kansas, but at the same time are worried about not being able to come to BG Days anymore. I have told them they would be able to come back.

    Stan, I do not know how to post this using my name so I will have to post it as anonymous, but I will write my name in my message.

    Thanks again for your kind words.
    DeAnn Glover

    ReplyDelete
  4. DeAnn,

    You do not have to hope -- you did leave a positive voice on the village. You did this by following "2 Fs' -- Firm and Fair.

    Enjoy your retirement, and we'll see you at Buffalo Grove Days.

    One more thing -- thanks for your service to the community!

    ReplyDelete